View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
67C10Step

Re: Anyone just skip the the bodywork and rebuild everything mechanical.

I thought about this thread a bit more after I posted last night and am really happy to see a lot of similar posts and thought processes here.

The truck I am building I describe as something to drive to a car show, not something you put "in" a car show. Don't get me wrong, I love all the builds from the low budget to the $100K plus Chip Foose style stuff. BUT, what keeps these trucks really popular, in my opinion, is the access to them that people have of various budgets and skill levels.

Also, for me this is a hobby truck. So I never expect "to get out of it what I have in it." Nobody expects the guy with the $50,000 bass boat and thousands of dollars in fishing gear to get a payback on his money so why should a hobby truck build be any different? I enjoy the work and it keeps me from running the streets and being a menace. Well, it keeps me from running the streets at least.

I have seriously thought along the lines Special K mentioned. My truck was originally vermilion, so I have looked at the Hot Rod Flatz burgundy and couple that with a gunmetal gray top and interior. It wouldn't be a show stopper, but I wouldn't meet myself on the street either.

That is the other part of this I enjoy. The guy with the $50,000, LS swapped, bagged, super build can pull up beside the freshened up recovered from the farm truck and both owners appreciate what the other has. One guy parks at the end of the lot away from everyone and the other guy still throws a log chain in the bed if he wants to.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote