View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #18
Coley

Smile Re: New replica tow hooks!

Coming from an mechanical engineering background...there is no way on this earth I would use cast stuff for any application that resembles towing, supporting or lifting...ever.

Casting is a pretty cheap way to achieve 'shape' in high volumes of manufacturing...fair enough for parts that have no targeted safety angle to them, like moldings, emblems, transmission case, engine blocks, etc.

Forging, which is the only way to go to combine strength and 'toughness', but is much more difficult and expensive due to the tooling and operational process to achieve a forged product.

He would have been better off to have these out of rubber or plastic...which would immediately bend of break away with an applied load....thus saving any event damage or injury.

Yikes....I just can't imagine what some people are thinking about sometimes.

Hopefully, he doesn't get into the scaffolding or crane/lift business....lol.

Adios to that idea......really, irresponsible.:
Remember as far as legal elements go in these circumstances....'You can't warn away stupidity, you have to account for it'....

(side note:....I get the same chills when I see a guy working under his truck with the frame or (yikes) axles supported on cindercrete blocks......all of this, without a full floor jack supporting the truck. That is a complete recipe for disaster, injury or death. Never do this guys.....use axle stands or wooden blocks 6x6, etc....NO cindercrete blocks)

My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 01-22-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote