View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
Steve-W

Help! 283 unidentified oil leak

I have a question regarding my '66 283 engine.
Last weekend I swapped my th350 for a 700R4, which bolted right in.
I started it for the first time and shut it off after a few seconds, just to do a double check on the oil cooling lines and such.

To my suprise engine oil was running out on the side of the oilfilter (screw on type btw) and I mean gushing..so going over my steps I suddenly realised when taking the th350 out, 1 bolt was missing from the belhousing on the bottom left, right behind the oilfilter. Luckily I found one roughly the same length and the right thread. (the one on the left)

with the car back on the lift, I suddenly realised what a rookie mistake I made, by not first checking whether the bolt wasn't to long. and see here why

I couldn't believe my stupidity and took off the oilfilter to asses the damage I had done.

but after cleaning it up, I could't see a crack and then thought there must be a hollow space behind it.
45min later the transmission was out again, because I wanted to have a look in the thread holes to see if I can see the damage i'd done. here are the close-ups of the holes

to my opinion, the holes all look intact, but I have no idea how it should look like when I screwed in a bolt thats to long.

I read that the filter mounting plates are notorious for leaks, but I didn't touch it during the tranny change..

so my friends, what could possible be the problem?
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote