Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2023, 10:26 PM   #1235
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Apparently something else is actually my problem with the overdrive electricals. I'll be checking the governor and relays later this week.
Yes, there was something else wrong with the electricals. Turns out the governor decided to break internally. The weights would still move, but some sort of spring or something inside must have broke. With the cap on the governor, it's supposed to keep open the contact points that ground the entire system. Once the truck gets to around 28 mph, the weights pull the assembly down and the contact points close to ground the entire system. The governor was not keeping the contact points open like it should.

I ended up taking one of the governors off the two transmissions I picked up recently, but that one also didn't work. Apparently the weights are a little frozen up on that one because it wasn't working either. I tried the other governor this afternoon, and sure enough, I have overdrive again. I now have a really good condition solenoid and good governor, so I should be good to go for awhile now!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote