View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #16
AllGoNoShow

Re: M20 shifting problems w/ Hurst Shifter....

Well I pulled the side cover today- the 1-2 detent swing arm was slightly bent and also had a small chunk worn off of it between what would be 1st gear and the neutral position. The 3-4 shifter fork looked awfully worn with a nice ridge on it. Picture of gear-set below-what do you guys think? 3rd and 2nd gear sycros are obviously more worn than 1 and 4 but from what I have read that is to be expected. Tranny sure doesn't look like it had a full recent rebuild though as previous owner claimed.

What I did notice, however, and what I expect has been causing some of my problems- the previous owner bought the wrong installation kit (the one for the later muncies with the shift levers attached with bolts, rather than the early muncie that I have with the shift levers attach with nuts). It seems that the only difference with these two kits (#3733163 for the early muncies and #3737834 for the later ones), is the shifter lever arms have different holes to accomodate the studs vs. the bolt attachment methods.

But, more importantly, it appears he put the 1-2 shifter lever on the 3-4 and vice-versa....and the two shifter levers are canted slightly differently and one has the hole about a 1/4 lower. Everything I have read says that the 7060 stamped shift lever is the 3-4 and he had it in the 1-2 position. So if anyone has a hurst competition shifter, can you just verify that for me (with the levers in the right position it appears that the stamped numbers should all be facing out anyway from the tranmission).

I ordered the new detent arms and shift forks from 5speed.com....once I get everything back together I will update you with results.
Attached Images

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote