View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Re: '99 S-10 Blazer 4.3 removal

sorry I haven't seen this for a while.
if (as most are) your motor mounts are sagging you will need to jack up the engine with a block of wood about 2" to get the lines past the front differential. I use a looooong 3/8" extension to place the ratchet in front of the sway bar and turn the chrome swivel 13mm socket on the engine end of the lines. then pop that loose letting them drain into a pan while I go after the small bolt (takes a 10mm socket) holding the lines to the front of engine. then take the filter end off and set the whole works in a drain pan. next I remove the upper fan shroud, fan (takes a special wrench, mine is used with an air hammer and made by Lisle <super cool tool>), and lower shroud. lower shroud is removed with a flat screwdriver to pry the 2 tabs from the snap in slots at the lower front as veiwed from above. then depending on if yours has the hex nuts (20mm) or clip type I take the cooler lines free from the radiator. while they are out i take a pliers to the large bulkhead nuts at the cooler to make sure they are tight and don't leak coolant. getting the clip type lines off the cooler is a PITA but don't worry if the clips get mangled. the new lines come with new clips. make sure the old O-rings are not stuck in the cooler. reverse procedure to install.

edit; Dorman lines have the bracket for attaching them to the engine installed upside down. I have no idea why, they just do. i lay the new ones next to the old ones to get it correct before installation.

Last edited by 68C15; 02-17-2010 at 11:21 PM.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote