View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
pockets

Re: More speaker ?????

it is generally a bad idea to compare speakers based on those factors. manufacturers will give you max ratings, but don't tell you how they sound at those ratings. A general rule of thumb is that a small speaker will be more efficient at higher frequencies. I don't know of anyone that goes from a 10" sub to a 4"mid though, except a car company (gm, ford, etc.). a 5 1/4 or 6" is your best bet for good mids with a tweeter.

I would find a decent brand speaker and just stick with it. MbQuart, JL Audio, Kicker, Focal, Rockford Fosgate, etc are your upper tiers. Pioneer, Sony, etc. are you mid tiers. One thing I did was go to a couple local shops and listen to what sounds good. Then I went to ebay and bought new-in-box speakers of that brand. I got "last year's" model for less than half of retail They were Focals BTW.

a thousand watts to a single 10" is a bit extreme. Also remember that that wattage that an amp or deck puts out isn't constant, and the more off brand you get, the worse their ratings actually are. Something like a 1000 watt Rockwood (not Rockford Fosgate) amp will probably never, ever achieve that, while a fosgate amp of the same rating you can be guaranteed it can. For just about any amp, the closer you get to full power the more distortion you'll get as well. That is why it is not uncommon to see pro audio cars have many hundreds if not a thousand watts going to mids and highs. They'll never see all that power, but the power they do get when cranked up is very clean power, because the amp has so much more capacity, it isn't working vary hard. However, most people will never know the difference.

A final bit of advice, the power capability of the speaker is also a max, and the power received by the speaker varies a bit with frequency. The speaker's impedance actually changes with frequency, therefore the power received changes as well. Yet another reason to not compare based on power capability alone.

tubbedII's advice is sound. run the mids and highs off the deck for now until you can get a decent amp to power them.