View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: New to me 1972 K5

The box came directly from Red Head. The power steering pump and hoses came from the local parts store. The poly body mounts came from Off Road Design as well as the 1" aluminum body pucks... I havent driven the truck with the new steering box, I just got the body mounts in place tonight. I may need some shimms and hope to drive it tomorrow....

I ended up drilling all the heads off the body bolts. The bolts from ORD were and inch longer to make up for the added puck. They were grade 5 but have a standard hex head. I went to go get new carriage bolts but they were only grade 2 to I used the ones they sent. I'll keep looking for some stronger carriage bolts or maybe some button head allen bolts....

All the bolts came out fairly clean except the two in the passenger and driver foot wells. They are recessed and you cant get a cut off wheel in there. I didnt have a die grinder so I drilled them out and ended up ripping the sheet metal where they were wleded. In its place I used to GM late model subframe washers.... and since everyone love pics.....

Old Vs. New

In place

Old bolt with weld still attatched along with some of my floor pan....

The washer I was talking about... fits in the recess perfectly

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 10-31-2010 at 06:07 AM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote