View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Railroadman

Installing rubber control arm bumper

It seems no matter what vehicle you work on, once in a while you get some seemingly simple job that drives you crazy. And today i have the King Midas Touch in reverse - everything I touch turns to $hit.

What is the magic secret to installing the rubber bumper on the lower control arm of a 3/4 ton? The new one seems to be made out of 10-ply rubber. I soaked it in hot water, used dish soap liberally, but still can't get that little SOB in.

I've tried poking it under the "ears" with a screwdriver, a putty knife, wooden wedges. I've tried starting one corner and "rocking" and twisting. All I have accomplished it mangling the bumper to the point I may have to toss it out. I'm going to have to learn another language because I have used up every cuss word there is in English and I threw in a couple from other countries and they didn't help either.

From what I can see the "tabs" or ears on the control arm are pretty sturdy steel and have not been bent out of shape. They DO curve downward but the old one came out of there so the new one "should" go in.

Any magic tricks, or just keep hacking away at it?
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote