View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #707
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Another major truck failure happened on Monday. I was driving down the road at 40 mph the truck died. Fortunately I was able to coast to a nice safe place to troubleshoot the problem.
After verifying I had fuel pressure, and the accelerator pump was spraying fuel. I pulled a plug wire and found no spark.
I ran a jumper from the battery to the distributor and still nothing. So I called my buddy and he brought me a HEI module and a complete distributor. By the time he got to where I was I had the HEI module removed. (I love my Gerber Multi-tool) I installed the module he brought to no avail. So I pulled the distributor and installed the spare distributor he had brought and the truck fired right up.
At this point I don't know if the module he brought was also bad or if the coil in the HEI failed. It doesn't really matter at this point as I am done with HEI's. I had planned to remove the HEI since I got the truck, and had finally started on its it's replacement several weeks ago. All that was left was to have my buddy curve it. After he came and rescued me my distributor went to the front of the line.
I picked it up Wednesday night and will get it dropped in hopefully Saturday. If the heavy rains predicted don't happen.
Early cast iron distributor with a basic Pertronix point replacement installed.

The upside was I met several really nice folks who stopped to see if I needed anything. One gentleman in a 51k mile 1966 Super Sport Impalla stopped and talked for a while. His Impala is a truly original car that looked better than some restored cars. The only non original parts on the car were the interior door look knobs and the radial tires. It had the 283 four barrel engine, dark blue poly paint, with a black interior. He bought it from the son of the original owner. Including a box of paper work that had the payment coupon book. The payments were $83 & some change a month.
Not an actual picture of the gentleman's car but one I found on the interweb.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 10-13-2020 at 01:47 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote