View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #718
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I got the air bags replaced with the new springs along with new outer tie rod ends and a pitman arm. Removal of the bags and the control arms was pretty uneventful.
The reassembly took quite a bit more time than I expected it to. I had to swap the ball joints from the air bag arms as the ones in the new control arms had the wrong taper.
Then the upper shock mounts I had installed would not work as they were, so they had to be removed and new holes drilled to get every thing to work. (The shocks hit the crossmember when compressed.) Drilling those holes was a pain the first time around and nothing was better this time.
When I went to bolt the right wheel on I realized that the outer edge of the new control arm stuck out too far and was hitting the brake rotor (Photo #2 @#%&#$= aftermarket parts) so instead of just letting it wear in I felt it would be better to grind it off with a grinder instead of the brake rotor.
After scratching my head and cursing a bit I concluded that removing the hub and rotor would be the easier than popping the ball joint out of the spindle to get access for grinding the end of the arm off. I taped a rag to the spindle to keep the grit from the grinding away and to make sure I didn't accidentally hit the spindle with the grinder.
Just an 1/8 of an inch was all that was needed to have enough clearance. The whole end to the arm had to have the 1/8" removed so the rotor cleared when steering. (Photo #3 yellow lines indicates the area I ground off.)
The drivers side had plenty of clearance between the arm and the brake rotor.
Once that was taken care of and everything was double checked, I went for a test drive. Everything seemed to be good on the test, but I will take another look at things in daylight tomorrow.
I still need to remove the air lines and get the front end realigned. And I don't have the bump stops for the lower control arms either. The ones I had turned out to be for something else.
As it was after dark when I finished I dont have any pictures yet.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 10-29-2020 at 10:43 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote