View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #939
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Change of direction, sort of.

The cardboard box worked so well, and then Morrison’s still had the offer at £5.00/kg and... they had some pieces of beef with a lot of fat on, that I decided to have another go.

This time heavy on the chilli to create chilli bits/snap stir and initially plans were for bat wings, which are thin pieces dried over a mesh.

Beautiful and the fat lays just right.

In the end I decided to pass on the bat wings as I do not have a spare oven grill or fridge shelving to drape the meat over, so snail stir it has to be.

Also just used a sharp knife to cut, rather than dirty my electric slicer, which I had decided to give away to friends who make biltong commercially from home.

45-60 minutes laying covered in salt, draws off all the residual liquid through osmosis. I use my kitchen sink, suitably sterilised as it allows me to lay it all out, maximising the surface area for the salt and then following that, the spices.

Gross pic, but part of the process, meat pushed aside, before washing all the pieces clean in vinegar which acts as an acidic sterilising agent and removes all excess salt.

Secret blend of herbs and spices (I just make it up as I go along) added, then again hand agitated to maximise coverage.

Hooks in, and into the vinegar rinsing bowl, which has now been washed three times so far.

Down to the garage, hung up, and then seal the box till next Friday as I want this batch really quite dry, I may remove the large ;pieces by Wednesday or Thursday as they are getting stirred in the freezer for later use.

And my and the Biltong Cottage harvest all vacuum packed.

I let Sam and Dee at Biltong Cottage try my Chilli Garlic biltong, and the were so taken with it, that I had to share my recipe with them. Happily done.

Ready for the freezer, and some getting sent to friends.

Pretty pleased with this lot.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote