View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
joedoh

Re: 1949 resto mod new project

I thought of something else regarding the 8 speed, I drove an 8 speed camry to ohio and back in 30 hours, and when the cruise was working it was wonderful because the radar cruise would hold the higher gears and accelerate/decellerate smoothly enough not to downshift/upshift a lot. then the weather started sleeting, and the cruise kicked off, I had to use my right foot. and no matter how hard I tried I could not maintain a steady speed, if I started slowing down on an incline, a slight push on the gas pedal would downshift to 6th, sometimes 5th, and the acceleration was just so rapid in those gears that I would let off. I spent about 1200 miles floating between 68 and 80mph, shifting up and down. I could select 6th and lock it but the fuel economy went down, nothing above 6th was selectable.

I know a 4 cyl camry doesnt have a lot to do with a 400 hp v8, but that was my experience. make sure the cruise works and "talks" to the trans or you might have the same rubberband effect.

make sure the Mark VIII traction control isnt just applying the brakes to the spinning wheel. my pilot works like that, called vehicle stability assistance, and in snow it overheats the abs. its not a good thing for acceleration either. feels like its getting punched in the gut.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote