View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #184
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

9/4/19 - 2 steps forward 1 step back

Been keeping busy when I can find time to work on the truck – an hour after work here, couple hours on the weekend there...but i keep running into issues where a simple install that should take 15 minutes, takes 90.

I went to install the MotorCityK5 hydraulic hatch strut kit and as noted in other reviews the lower bracket hits the top to bedside bracket. It was only an issue for me on the driver side, however, as the passenger side fit fine. The real problem I had was a broken screw in the trapped nut where the top strut bracket would go. That took a lot of careful drilling, cussing, and praying that I would get it out. Luckily I did and I gotta say the strut kit is well worth it.

Name:  IMG_4174.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  63.5 KB

Also been working on the sound deadening with some dynamat. Symmetry is fun!
Name:  IMG_4175.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  72.7 KB

Plan is to cover 25-50% of panels for sound deadening with the Butyl strips, then I'll use some MLV I bought for a sound barrier basically everywhere I can, as well as some dynaliner on the firewall and foot wells for heat.

Before I get too crazy with the sound deadening I want to get the units that mount to the firewall in place and work around them. So inner heater air plenum box went in, then I took a look the wiper motor mount and found this bent, broke off screw.

Name:  IMG_4173.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  77.0 KB

I ran out of time yesterday but I'm hoping I can install two nuts to the end of the screw, then use a wrench on the inside nut to twist it out. Wish me luck.

Once I figure that one out I'll finish getting the a couple more dash pieces installed (heater controls, gas pedal) and finish getting the sound deadening stuck on.

Then hopefully onto some wiring, drilling holes for the CST panels and carpet strips.

And maybe jump around to other stuff as I get frustrated.
Attached Images

SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote