View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
OKGMC4

LS turbo advice needed...

So I just know somebody will tell me to use a search function for these questions so, in advance, I have. Either I'm stupid or just can't find the answer to this stuff.

I want to turbo my 5.3. It's an 01 with 85k on it and has a stock LS1 camaro cam in it. I have a 4l80e to back it. Looking at doing a 76-78mm T4 with a .96 AR. Seems to be common on 5.3 swaps. Unless someone suggests one that is smaller, and why. I don't really want to do an ebay turbo. I understand they work great, but for how long? I want it to last. There are cheaper units from places like Huron Speed and Precision but are the economy Precision units any better than the Chinese turbo that costs half as much?

1. I THINK I can do 10-12 psi on 91 octane with an intercooler. I already have a big Treadstone intercooler mounted. Seems like some say run less boost, others say more. Ring gap, head gaskets, head bolts all stock. Seen some with stuck ring lands on less psi and some running WAY more without issue. I know the tune is critical, but does that 10-12 psi sound reasonable?

2. Going to try a Trick performance cast stainless manifold rather than welding truck manifolds or a log. Some have good luck with that but there are a ton of them that end up cracking and I want OEM reliability. It comes with a 38mm style 2 bolt wastegate flange. A 44-46mm seems like a logical choice but they are all v band. There are adapters from 2 bolt to v band but does that really work? If the hole in the manifold is smaller isn't that really the choke point? Trick sells the full kit with a Precision 39mm 2 bolt so that might be good enough but want to avoid boost creep.

3. Sounds like I'll need to look into a MAFless tune for my application? Seen it both ways.

Wish there was an LS turbo sticky just like the LS swap sticky. Still trying to learn the turbo do's and don'ts.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote