View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
ncgamedog

Re: "Old Bill" 1968 Chevy 4wd resto/build

^ Thanks guys!! I wish I had some updates....
I've gone back to school after being laid off a few years ago, and am now a senior mechanical engineering tech student at UNCC. I'm trying to stay focused on school so I can get the heck back to work! It's been a real challenge depending on financial aid, I'm used to working. Working on the resto project just has to fit in around the rest of my busy schedule so the progress comes in short bursts, lol.

I think I have decided on few things for the plan going forward.

1) I talked to my friend who is a super sharp guy and manages a NAPA. He is excellent on Q-jets so he is going to rebuild the carb for me. He also offered to teach me how to assemble the 355ci short block, so I am going to def take him up on that! I'm super excited to finally learn how to properly assemble an engine. Now I just need to find some heads! If anybody has a line on some decent or worked vortec heads, let me know!

2) I have also made up my mind on the color choice for the truck. I am going to borrow and idea from another member on here, and go with the Toyota Voodoo Blue. It's the color on the newer FJ Cruiser. I want to go back with the white top and grill. I also would like to stay with the FJ Cruiser theme and have the grill trim, headlight bezels, door handles, wiper arms, wheels and mirrors powder coated a semi-metallic grayish color, similar to the grill on the FJ. I think this will give the truck a clean modern twist without altering the stock overall appearance of the truck. I do NOT like chrome on a truck or 4x4. I know its personal preference. Cars, its a somewhat different story.

On that note...I have a couple questions for you guys.

Would it be acceptable to have the grill and top painted white without reusing the trim around the back of the cab and the grill "eye brow" trim??

I was also wondering if anyone knows if re-pop painted or paint-able trim and mirrors are available? Most places I have looked only offer chrome.
ncgamedog is offline   Reply With Quote