View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
Beach-Burban

Re: Headliner removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SUBGUY View Post
I've searched but haven't been able to find how to remove the headliner from my 72 Suburban.

I wouldn't imagine the side rails need to be bent down to clear the liner.
My guess is the panel needs to be flexible enough to remove which mine is quite stiff due to age.
I have only done this once, so not an expert by any means...but I took a different approach than HO455. For removal, I started with the bow between the two middle panels. First, slide or remove the chrome end caps out of the way to expose the screws that hold the metal inner bow to the side rail (one screw on each side). I didn't separate the plastic outer bow from the metal inner bow because as HO455 said, they are brittle and want to crack during the separation process. Instead, I put even pressure on the bow and both panel edges pushing them into the void that is between the headliner panels and the interior roof skin (ceiling?). As they raise, the panel edge leaves the groove in the bow that holds the panel in place, then the bow can be left in the void above the the headliner panel. At this point, each of these two panels has only one screw in the center securing it to the metal rib supports of the roof. Remove the screw from one of the panels and gently lower the panel down and out. With one panel out, the bow (metal and plastic cover still together) has room to be slightly turned to the side then removed. Basically repeat the process for the remaining three panels and two bows. I have not re-installed my headliner as of yet, so can't comment on that process. I hope this helps!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote