View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #64
XXL
Seņor Member

Tony, I'm sorry I've been unable to take your phone calls today. As you know, I have been VERY busy preparing for my cross-country move. I was hoping that your calls to me would be to discuss how you can rectify the poor quality work on this project, but based on your post above, my impression is that you just want to argue some more. Some things you've stated here are incorrect, and so I feel obliged to correct them. As I've told you and others, I documented almost everything you and I ever discussed--

Quote:
Originally posted by Pardue'sCustoms
first off kenneth never ask me to redone his work that he put on the cab
This is incorrect. First, we discussed the topic by PM.

Quote:
From your PM dated 10-07-2002 11:17 AM (this was when you still posted under the username big71)
I have done 3 chop top and i get 600.00 a top and if you could send some pic . and of the area that need work and of the area that you have done allready i still thank we could stay around 1500.00-2000.00 with a chop iam trying to help
Second, we discussed the issue via telephone after you received the cab. You told me that I had installed the rockers incorrectly, and that they should be removed and reinstalled correctly. I asked you to tell me how much it would cost to get everything correct. This is also when we discussed the suicide doors. After you evaluated the work that needed to be done/corrected on the cab, you came up with the $4000 figure (the additional $2000 would be for the suicide doors AND to correct my errors). I gave it some thought and then authorized the work.

Quote:
he never once show me a pic of what shade of grabber blue he wanted i went to the ppg store and told them i want 1971 code j grabber blue and iam sorry if they did not mix it the right shade he should have sent a pic. and a sample and i would have made sure it match his sample
I'll refer you to our email on the subject below. Included in the original email was this image. I'm not sure how much more clarity the issue required. I will also remind you that, once you purchased the paint, I asked you to take a photo of the open can. You did not. You also offered to shoot some on a piece of scrap and send it to me. You did not.

Quote:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 1:48 PM
To: 'Parduecustoms@wmconnect.com'
Subject: Paint color

Color chip is 1971 Ford "J" (Grabber Blue)... It was on the Mach I. Here's a scan of the color chart. The blue is obviously not perfect because of the scanner and monitor differences, but you should recognize it when you pop the can. It's BRIGHT blue.

Quote:
he din't even take the old paint off when i got it i grinded on the edge of all the filler that he put on and even on the fire wall he left all old paint under it i do that a lot just to check there work. to see how good they done it.
Actually, the entire cab was stripped with POR-STRIP. You may recall the product review I wrote about it on this board (it was purged back in the "great board crash" of 2003-- the gist of it is that the first batch didn't work at all, and that the POR folks sent me a replacement gallon and it worked like a champ). In any case, when you found that I failed to properly prepare the surface, did you fix it? Or did you cover it up? I know you didn't mention anything to me about it at the time.

Quote:
they were big huge dent on the back of the cab that he din't bother to knock them out a little bit before he slap on a 1 inch thick of fiberglass and a nother 1/2 inch think of bondo all he ask me to do was to leavel out the back of the cab and the dash so i put a nother 1/2 inch just get it stright and i will be honstly it ant dead stright but it looks good. he did NOT ask me to fix the back of the cab or the dash just to stright them a little and the cab couner was put on by him and that was a mess to so ya think that i should fix all of his mess up for free
This 'big huge dent' to which you refer, did you fix it on the inside of the cab? Because the inside of the cab does not appear to have any such dent. And we know that the back wall of the cab is single-wall steel. How do you explain this apparent discrepancy? BTW, I did not complain about the smoothness of the back of the cab . It actually looks pretty good except for the paint runs, orange peel, and the crooked body line (or crooked roof chop). As for the 1" thick fiberflass + 1/2" thick filler + your 1/2" of filler... so you're saying the back of the cab is now 2" thick?

Quote:
I WILL amit I SHOULD HAVE FILL THE ROOF SEAM for him thats is how the seam sealer was when he brought it to me i guess i should have bought some and re done it to but i din't thank.
Actually, as I'm sure you'll recall, we discussed this very topic by phone several times. You called to suggest we shave the drip rails-- and even offered to do it for no additional cost (I assumed at the time that your offer to do so was because it was just as easy to remove them as not while you were doing the roof chop). However, I explained to you that I prefered the drip rails as they represent one of those clear visual details these trucks are known for. You suggested filling them (like Travis at IFC did-- I even sent you the URL), but I said I just wanted them to be seam sealed like factory. You called yet again on this topic to mention that you had trimmed the bottoms of the drip rail and feathered them in to the cab near the door handle area. And we discussed this yet again when I reminded you as I was going over the "pre paint" checklist with you.

As for the rest of your post above, it's not relevant to the discussion. This topic isn't about how you're getting your feelings hurt about what people have to say about your workmanship and your business ethic. This topic is about the workmanship and business ethic themselves. As you denigrate me for the work I did on the cab before you got it, you fail to address the paint runs, the orange peel, the dry spray, the dirt specks, the fisheye, the body filler cracks, the pinholes, the overspray on the glass, the misaligned jambs, the unsanded dash top, the sagging door, the wavy door window frames, the wavy door skins, the lumpy inner door just below the window line, and all the other things that are wrong with the work YOU did. Until this cab rolled up the other day, I was extremely irritated that you took over a year to do this job, but was excited beyond measure to finally get it back and see the work. After looking at the cab (in the waning hours of sunlight) I was stunned. After another look the next day in daylight, I was appalled.

In reference to your recent phone calls, if you'd like to discuss something in particular, I would appreciate it if you would write what you have to say and email it to me. You have my email address. I will respond via email and then follow up by phone when I have a chance.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote