Thread: Dad's Dodge
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #83
makman1297

Re: Dad's Dodge

My new leaf springs came in today and I think I will get them in and check the pinion angle again.

I also downloaded a vibration app for my I phone, you put in the details and drive. It is showing a level 1 tire speed vibration and a prop shaft level 1 vibration.

I think I found the cause of most of the driveline vibrations, in addition to the angles I found the mount is shifted.

I decided to make a better spacer that was stronger then my test one. I found the tractor supply trailer shackle kits are almost perfect flat stock with the holes being almost correct. I had to grind them slightly with my die grinder to open the holes up about 1/8. They went right on and were the correct height that I needed.

During the installation I noticed the tranny mount looked a little off, I measured and sure enough it was holding the trans about 1/4" to the pass side of the truck. I loosened up the engine bolts and pried the rear over. So far it has stayed pretty close to center of frame.

I also noticed that the yoke was holding the u-joint slightly off center. I removed the yoke and put a new joint in. I has to file the side that was off slightly to get it to center again. I think I was slightly bent when assembled.

When I was done it was pretty close to center of frame measuring from u joint to frame lip on both the passenger and drivers side.

I have only put a few miles on, but it feels better already.

I also had to pull the speedometer out again, it would go to 65 and then jump to 85 and hang out there until you slowed way down. I took it apart and swapped around some parts with another one. Finally I think I have a winner. I had the same problem with my 80s Chevy truck speedos. I think it took me 3 to get one to work.
Attached Images

1980 Kawasaki KZ 440
2004 Harley Sportster 1200
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote