View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #86
cpnbnanamn

Re: Routine Fuel Tank Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
You're welcome, once you get this rig running well you'll wonder why anyone wants a V8 .

The fuel intake sock is maybe easiest to hand make, I recently spent some time @ O'Rielly's , plenty of fuel socks, none I really liked, maybe the host here has them ? .

As far as the tank, this one looks very good and they're easy to clean out and de rust, the only thing is : you need to dismount it to properly do the job, ask and I'll walk you through it, under $100 and you can save and re use the cleaner / de rusting agent for a few years on all the other steel bits & hardware you're going to want to re use .

Carefully shake the sending unit's float, if you feel any liquid sloshing 'round inside it's junk, new ones are cheap .
Hey Nate - In further investigation, I've come to the conclusion that I should replace the sending unit. It's in pretty rough shape, and I think it'd be the best bet. Who makes the best replacement?
As far as removing the tank, I've been told it's difficult to remove, and that the filler neck usually gets bent. Is there a trick to it? I'm betting I'm gonna have to remove the bench to do it, right? I've been looking at kits to do it, and possibly looking at the idea of taking it to a local radiator shop to clean..