View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #74
66Z71

Re: '62 BBW SWB Highschool ride returns

Well here's the update for yesterday. Got my sound deadner from Brothers, so I could put the carpet in. What a pain that was. I'm not complaining about the quality or anything, just trying to get a stiff flat something to conform to the conture of the floor. At least it comes in 4 pieces, so I started by laying it all out, and seeing how it fit. Took a bit to guess which piece went where since there are no instructions with it. By the time I was done, I was wishing I could start over, since I think I have learned how to do it right now.

Anyways here are some things I came away from it with. First lay the parts out in the truck, and make witness marks on the floor where the pieces go. Then take everything out, and starting with the drivers side piece spray the adhesive on the floor, and the back of the pad. Let it sit for a few minutes, then carefully start at the top near the dimmer switch, and lay it down. The bend in the floor between the toeboard, and the flat part will probably need a relief cut since the floor also rolls downhill toward the door. I kept my box cutter handy, and made slices as needed.

Next I went to the passenger floor, and did the same to it. The pads have nice little cutouts for the studs on the floor that the original rubber mat hooked on. Only thing is the cutouts didn't exactly match my studs... So a little more trimming. I just stuffed the cutout parts back in the holes to make the floor almost flat. The center piece really didn't want to lay over the tranny hump. I made the decision early on to cut it into three pieces. Left, right, and center. That really helped, and kinda freed me from thinking I had to lay it out as it came. That thought really helped with the last piece that went over the firewall part of the tranny hump. It got butchered. My goal at that point was to cover the floor with pieces of pad. Anywhere it started to buckle, I cut it. Pieces trimed off of one spot covered a hole in another spot. All in all I'm happy with it.

First layout of the pieces.

Notice how it doesn't exactly fit.

Heres the relief cut.

All pieced together, with wires ran for speakers, dome light, and the gas sender.

After I got the sound deadner laid down, I went to work on the jute. It was a little harder to guess where things went. I think I finally got it right though. Again i started with the drivers side, since it has the dimmer switch, and gas pedal sticking out of it. Then I went to the passanger side, and did it. When I got to the center I found that there was more jute than floor. I think the first layer of sound deadner might have caused that, but no worries. I trimmed the last piece to fit, and used some of the trimmings to fill in around the top passenger side where there was a small gap.

The carpet has been rolled up in the box for who knows how long, so I just layed it out in the truck to relax for now. I will probably wait for a couple of days before I glue it down. It even has jute on the back of it. That floor is so comfortable I am actually looking forward to laying on it and wiring the dash

I put the firewall pad on the same way. Only problem is it doesn't lay too well around the top of the tranny hump, but nobody is gonna see up there anyhow. It isn't the same as the stock one. Original was more of a perforated paper/jute pad. This one is Jute, with a soft rubber cover. Since I'm not restoring the truck I think it is a nice upgrade.

One final shot with the brake pad on, and the throttle pedal sitting in place.

The wife is so looking forward to me getting the seat out of 'her' basement. Just gotta get the gas tank in, then I can finally do it.
"Always try to make the best part you can with the skills you have. If it isn't good enough throw it away and make another. Every time you make a part your skill will increase and you'll make a better part than you were capable of making before." Lil John Buttera
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote