View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
joedoh

1941 project fenix

yes I know how to spell Phoenix.

the 49 is done, well, done-ish. projects keep my hands busy and my liver clean. This is my 1941 1/2 ton short bed build.

I decided to start a new project thread in a new section of the forum, my old project threads got pretty cluttered as a kind of constant stream of consciousness, detailing not only the project in the thread but also everything else I happened to work on around that time.

for those that dont know me, my name is Russ not joe. I am a contract engineer, more engineer than contract lately but thats ok, I quit my demanding directors job to spend more time with my kids, especially my 3 year old "beeps" (short for beeperfish, its a made up story I tell my kids). in the time when she is napping (not much) or when mom is home to entertain, I bang around on old metal. Being an engineer I love making things work and am always more excited about making dissimilar things function together than I ever am about "having" them.

here is my 65, used to be a 62. powered by a 2.2l EFI 4 cylinder. kept up with traffic and was just heaven to cruise around all day, no vapor lock, no wasted MPG. sold it to another enginerd

here is the 47 GMC from last year, 4.3 auto S10 donor. learned lots. a great guy in MO bought it

here is the 49. lots of improvements over the 47, very nice and quiet truck. currently for sale.

enough! lets get to work.

I took apart the 41 I bought last super bowl weekend. I rolled it in the garage on my 8k lb capacity body cart because sometimes overkill is just right. my intention was to build this one for myself but we will see. I hope to have it running before New Years. 5AL, 41 3/4 ton.

here is the donor, 91 4.3 auto S10. I used the bed floor on the 49.

I had it stored in the back yard till now, last time I moved it I accidentally ran it out of gas which plugged up the sock or the filter or both. when I pulled it out with a chain to change the flat it developed, I left the key on. so dead battery/weak fuel flow, I decided to jump it and pour a little gas in the TBI to prime it. of course it backfired, and it may be easier to list the things that werent on fire after that. my sweater smothered the engine, then the ground, then the engine again. the only loss was the air fllter. my hubris always has a method of humbling me.

the truck came with the wrong bed, it had a 53 long bed. In may I found a stash of 41-46 trucks and bought everything, 4 cabs, two front ends, 4 beds.

only one set of rear fenders though, and they are 37-38 fenders. my brother was browsing cl in pa and found a set for me though

and I found a spare pass rear at a guys horde

so thats today, 11-18. this will be simpler than my other builds, and should be faster because its a running driving donor and the simple electronics compared to the last three trucks which all had complicated bussed electrical. wish me luck!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote