View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Re: Help with Edelbrock 1406 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Your PCV needs to be connected to the large port in the front of the carb. Vacuum boost for the brake and the vacuum modulator for the transmission should be hooked up to full manifold vacuum - usually a port in the manifold directly behind the carb. Make sure there's a check valve between the manifold and your brake booster.

As for the vacuum advance - ported vacuum (Edelbrock calls it "timed vacuum") was an early component of emissions control. The purpose behind it was to retard the spark at idle so the fuel/air mixture would be burning as it exited the exhaust ports. That was intended to increase exhaust temperature to burn off more hydrocarbons, but all it really accomplishes is burning excess fuel. Do yourself a favor and block off the ported vacuum and connect your vacuum advance to manifold vacuum. You'll get quicker response and better fuel economy.
I don't necessarily disagree with this advice about the advance port, but when i tried it my enginge "loaded up" in heavy traffic so I switched it back.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 10-23-2019 at 10:38 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote