Thread: 47-55.1 1953 gmc s10 frame 6.0swap
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
_Ogre

Re: 1953 gmc s10 frame 6.0swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
I wouldn't go with a kit. Too many variables and I think you just end up modifying them anyways. Plasma cutter is nice and I used it to remove some stuff but in all honesty I used a cut off wheel to make all my mounts. I tried just a plasma cutter and unless you have a table to guide it you are better off with the cutting wheel. As stated before mounting the body and bed is the easy part. Its all the other stuff that takes so much time. Good luck and I wish I would have done an LS engine. Maybe next time.
agreed, save your money.

i have access to all sorts of fabrication equipment. i built most of 58truk with a $300 fluxcore welder and a couple cheap $10, 4" grinders with cutoff/grinding wheels. all the frame was boxed and welded with fluxcore, yeah, i grind more than the mig guys. i can cut 10ga steel with a cutoff wheel faster than most guys can plasma and grind straight

a lot of fabricating can be done with square tubing, pipe, plate and misc shapes. i did have quite the scrap steel selection when i started out, that saved me a ton. granted my is a 58 on stock frame, but there's a lot of welding and fabrication in there
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote