View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #36
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Some turns of events:

I am pushing body work to the "between mechanical work" level - so it may or may not get painted before next summer. It doesn't need a ton, but I know once I start, I won't be able to NOT get it as perfect as possible so rather than hold the project up because there's still a wave after I pull one of the more difficult dents, I am going to do the super obvious stuff (bad patch jobs, fix the floor, etc) and push that to next winter.

I also decided I am going to bend a piece of sheet metal and replace my gauges with a simple panel and tablet mount. I work in IT as my day job and while the truck is keeping a sort of grungy/budget feel, tablet is way cheaper for me to set up after the LS swap than the gauges I'd otherwise want to have.

LS Swap piece is pretty much hashed out. I found a local company that does the harness conversions for me, and they also have good prices on used OD transmissions. I'm thinking a 4L60E gets me on the road on the cheap and will hold up while the 5.3 is stock with such a light truck not doing any work. Once I burn that up I'll upgrade to an 80 OR if an 80E pops up at the shop for the right price (under 800, lets say) at the right time, I'll go straight to that and never have to worry again for the power levels this particular engine will see.

Engine is going to get dropped in bone stock with the exception of some swap cast manifolds. Small shot of nitrous will get added once the bugs are worked out, and a HEALTHY cam next winter. Shooting for sub 9 in the 1/8 after the cam and maybe a 7.9 with nitrous and other supporting mods.

The trans was unexpected but my Th350 I dont think is in the best shape. I am also pushing the need for better gears and either a locker or a limited slip up the list pretty far.

I am fully rebuilding the front suspension and going to go through the rear brakes - they are sticky and grabby and tend to apply well before the fronts, despite the correct MC, so I am guessing there is some adjustment needed. I also ended up buying wheels and tires this year which I hadnt planned on. Once I get the tires on, I'll know where I need to trim in front to make them fit and not rub.

So next spring it will probably still be primer, albeit fresh primer with a sealer, but way more mechanically sound with a fully rebuilt suspension, brakes that have been gone through more thoroughly, some safety stuff like seatbelts that are actually bolted down and work, and a functional dashboard... on top of the LS Swap.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote