View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #173
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

I get excited about simplest things sometimes, and this has me good. In my youth I sprayed the engine bay when my buddy and I pulled the engine for rebuild. Very cold Jan. too, I sprayed outdoors and it took Horrible job, I didn't intend to spray the evap. box and didn't care not to, most of the RH side of it was hit and a lot of it 3-4 coats thick.

I was going to send this out for restoration to the tune of big $, they'd have blasted no doubt and had to paint too. Read up on it, you don't even want to soda blast unless you're an expert and know what you're dealing with (e.g. fiberglass).

Read aircraft paint remover was good for plastic and fiberglass. My goal was save the surface if it works, and paint remover etches a little bit so I passed. Long story short I ended up using oven cleaner for 20 minutes, that can etch a pinch too much beyond that. The oven cleaner appeared to do nothing, but it starts to flake off some with lacquer thinner, which is a very good cleaner for these as well. Beyond that lots of lacquer thinner and patience to the tune of 5 hours.

They have a general once over due yet, and I ordered some polish that sounds just right. I have to remove the paint from the metal too, which is easy. No need to take this apart there's no rust and the door is like new. I'm real happy with the condition, and glad the fiberglass doesn't have to be painted on purpose

Word to the wise, not that anyone else is dumb enough to blast these with "overspray"..........I read acetone is a big whoops on fiberglass. I can swear by lacquer thinner, but no kidding depends on the over-spray. Almost the entire exterior was painted white before I got the truck - probably a $300 paint job back in the day. A single drop took forever to come out, I had to cheat with a pinch of paint remover . Dumb luck I painted the engine bay in the winter I guess, it was automotive paint.

Upside no rust on this truck. Downside between me and some shop everything was painted, and poorly
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-11-2020 at 09:02 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote