View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 11:17 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Back from paint and body...need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyzx9r View Post
We got our 1970 C10 back from body and paint. Came out nice, but wound up costing double what the original estimate was due to there being a lot more rot than we thought there would be...a lot of metal work, a lot. But, it looks good. I can't remember the paint name, but it's close to a caramel candy apple red...with black interior

Now to put it all back together, I need some advice and help.

It's not an original truck...not even close. And we use it like a truck, it's not meant to be a show truck. And we're keeping it low thrills, not many bells and whistles.

It's a 1970 2WD C10 but it's got an 8' bed from a '72 I think (it has the passenger side cargo compartment in the side of the bed). The 350 that's in it...is from god knows what/where but it runs good and we rebuilt it a few years ago. And it's a 4-speed manual, though with the way it's geared I don't think I've ever used 1st.

We got all new heater/defrost components...from the radiator hoses to the ducts, all of it was replaced. We have heat and defrost again!

Windows were all taken out and we had all new seals put in. But we decided not to put the chrome window trim back on, it looks better without it.

We had all the body side molding holes filled in to smooth out the sides.

Eliminated the antenna hole and filled that in.

Moved the gas tank to the rear frame and filled in the gas tank hole on the cab and the one that was on the bed for the external tank(s).

What I need advice/recommendations with:

Bumpers? I was just gonna get the premium chrome front and back from LMC that look like simple stock bumpers. The bumpers I had on it were trashed.

Grill. Again, planning on going with the chrome grill from LMC with the silver insert.

All new lenses for the lights from LMC.

Is the stuff from LMC good quality? Fitment issues?

We also need to put in a new carpet. There is a company called USA1 that has carpets specifically for cabs with no fuel tank that run to the wall. Does anyone have any other recommendations for that?

How do you differentiate between a low transmission hump and a high hump? It's one of the questions some sites ask when choosing the carpet.

Door panels. I don't like the original ones that have the Western stitch theme to them...is there something basic and simple out there we can use for door panels?

What do the screws look like for the compartment door hinges? The screws that attach the hinges to the door itself and the screws that attach the hinges to the truck...I need those. I hope they're not something crazy to find like the hinges were.
I can't speak to it due you have no respect for originality The hump's height depends on your drivetrain, perhaps just the transmission. I can only speak for a high hump, 402/400. Seems if in doubt install a high hump, but don't take my word for it, at all. If you haven't got your answer yet, what's your drivetrain?

OC Auto Carpets is Auto Custom Carpets (ACC) preferred retail source, and great service. I've never read a complaint. I think I paid 650ish for their insulated carpet floor, fuel tank cover and a pair of mats, with shipping.

Can't help with bumpers beyond you really need to know your rear bumper bolt pattern on your frame rails. It's probably 5" or 7.1", IMO. Repo. brackets are probably )(&*^)(* and if so, good idea to flatten where they mount the bumper or stand to ruin your new bumper. They have to fit flush on the bumper, and without any distortions from the bumper to the frame rails. Front brackets should be straight forward, short I know a 71-72's inner brackets take an offset washer each, fit between the bumper and brackets. Not sure about a 70 bumper, the assm. manual knows for sure.

Oh yeah, LMC.................Run. Just kidding, sorta. LMC is cool cuz they ID parts nicely. I've found a part they only carry, and yes, some of their parts are as high of quality as anyone else who carries the parts. But most times, there are better vendors for a number of reasons, including better parts.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-29-2024 at 11:27 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote