View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #45
AussieinNC

Re: This looks bad! Tell me the ugly truth. White smoke + oil . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
Here’s a quick video of my leak down test. CYLINDER 5 VIDEO LINK
I pressurized the cylinders again tonight and HEARD AND FELT air at the OIL FILL HOLE and INTAKE THROTTLE BODY. If I also have leaking intake valves, then the cylinder leak down test numbers will be falsely lowered.
The plan for the weekend is to run the engine for a while and test it again when warm. I want accurate info before I ask the engine builder to remedy the problems.

Here are the leak down numbers I got last night.
The engine was COLD when I tested. It was too late to warm the engine up, because I already had the valve cover off. I have some serious problems.
#1 = 91
#2 = 76
#3 = 94
#4 = 96
#5 = 62
#6 = 61
#7 = 91
#8 = 71
Now you have your reason now for so much blow by....

2,5,6,and 8 are critical failure readings....hearing air in the oil filler means ring blow by...most likely broken or missing rings.....
1 and 7 are indicative the rings have not sealed to the cylinder walls.

3 and 4 are the only two close to ok...

BTW...I believe anything less than 95 is a fail....

Hearing air in the intake manifold is most likely poorly seating or burnt valves or a bad vacuum leak at base of manifold....pulling blowby air from sump into manifold.

Suggest you do not pull the engine down without discussing this with the seller....

I remember noting the absence of Rings on the parts replaced list on the Ad post...suspect they were not replaced and old ones were installed....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote