View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #53
madmopar
This guy has got to be stopped

Re: "The possum" build - 1970 4x4 LWB on mid 70's chassis

Sorry, no pics again - I didn't do much this weekend. I hooked up the speedometer - which should've taken 20 minutes, but turned into 3 hours...

First, the old speedometer cable was broke off in the speedo gear shaft... so I had to get that out... tried a big magnet, no luck... then ended up taking it out and leaking fluid all over everything... then it took me 30 minutes to coax it out by tapping on it...

Re-installed the gear shaft, and after that, I ran the cable up front... removed the gauge cluster and broke the oil line! so I had to replace that... then I routed the speedo cable into the dash and guess what? the ends were different! The cable I had was the push on style that is held on with a clip to the back of the speedo... but the speedo itself had a screw on fitting!

So I swapped to the '75 speedo I had... I had to grind the mounting ears off the tin guage face on it, but it had the older style mounting on back of the unit too, so it basically bolted right in...

I did have to make a clip to hold it on - but that was pretty simple.

Now I have 2 sets of numbers... they line up perfectly, so I guess I coulda scraped them off of the new speedo (or the lens)... but oh well... it looks like it has a KPH/MPH speedo now... except they read the same!

I'll probably scrape one set of numbers off eventually. I want to add an aftermarket fuel guage (for my chrysler fuel tank and sending unit) in the factory tach hole and put a tach in the factory fuel guage spot. I'm hoping I can find an old Ford or Mopar to donate both guages... or find them at next springs swap meets...

1970 4x4 LWB project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415134
madmopar is offline   Reply With Quote