View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
luvbowties

Wink Re: Recommend carb for 5.7 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
And if you like to 'dare to be different' and are a true follower of 'Mores Law' then you temp fate and tinker with running 2 quadrajets in tandem on a dual quad intake. I did way back when. Ran a pair of carter afb's and switched to quads just to see how it would work. People like the sound of the secondaries opening on one quad. You gotta feel and hear the sound of two. Almost like the sound of a pair of afb's on a hemi!
I ran the front carb as my secondary. Cranked in at 40% opening of my rear primary.
Thanks to the apt they were tuneable. And an assortment of secondary hangers.
Great fun. One of the best carbs ever built.
Definition time: 'More's Law'-- if some is good, more's better!
Geezer, I'm old enough to remember that wonderful, moaning sound of the back two bbls opening on the old AFB's back in the early 60's--before q'jets were heard of (at least by me). We'd change the 4GC(?) and smaller 250/hp 327-intake for the AFB and 300 hp/327-intake--man what a difference! Get on it for just a moment and let back off, and it would sound just like a person saying "want some"! ...hoping this is not too bad that it deserves editing; but that's exactly the sound. And the power increase was just phenomenal.

Did those AFB's have bigger secondaries than these new Edelbrocks? Seems I recall a VERY noticeable size increase between the primaries and secondaries--more so than present-day Edelbrocks. But, having blown out so many birthday candles, I'm kinda winded and may suffer from lack of oxygen to the brain:even if so, some of the memories I do recall are still exuberant--and priceless.

BTW: lotsa people working on q'jets have no idea what the APT is or that it even exists. [Yet may be good IF they don't know what to do with it--even if they have an adjustment tool.]
sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-28-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: grammer
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote