View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

I was shocked at how big some of this stuff is, the rotor is 14.25 inches and the rotor/hub assembly weighs in at 70 lbs! In comparing parts I noted how much heavier the parts from the 89 are over the 68(70). I'm not sure if it is the year model difference or the fact that the 68 is a c50 (actually 70 c5500) and the 89 is a c60. Anyway, attached photo shows two equivalent parts and the different size. I still had to deal with the drag link (tie rod?) width. I checked and the tie rod ends were different in where they went through the tapered bore, but the threads on the drag link are the same so I unscrewed the ends from the 89 drag link and installed into the narrower drag link. I put it back together and took a test drive; steering wheel off by 90+ degrees and hitting the stops so soon I have to make a lot of 3 point turns. It was toed way in as well. Back in the shop I ran the stop bolts all the way in and then used the "string method" that I found on youtube to set the toe-in. That got things close enough to drive on the farm...

The pictures I posted of the 89 above were actually with the narrowed axle installed, here is a dead on front shot showing how funny it looks.
Attached Images