View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 12:10 AM   #1
Freaky1

My wife calls it Mater

Ever have one of those deals that you just can't pass up? Too many good things are in place to ignore the universe? This truck is it...

I have another thread on here about a '65 longbed my son & I bought from a friend. Well, this project landed on the table & free delivery was offered between the time we saw the longbed & it was hauled to us.

When I got it the bed, cab, & front clip it was setting on a '65 longbed frame. I wasn't fond of cutting the frame since it was in great shape. Well wouldn't you know it, another friend of mine had a shortbed frame that someone had used (I think) '72 parts on to convert it to 5 lug.

The longbed frame was sold, the shortbed frame was acquired in trade for an intake manifold & some old carbs.

Another buddy was cleaning out his grage & found a set of front fenders that are not perfect, but damn close. For a days worth of help in his shop he gave me the fenders.

One day I was looking at engines for sale on Craigslist, I mentioned it to a friend & said his neighbor was selling a SBC 400 with a little B&M blower. That engine came with a TH400, B&M shifter, & an aluminum radiator. Needless to say I picked that up & stuffed it in the corner with the rest of the parts.

So here we are, my plan is to have a fun (I did mention the little blower) daily driver to blast around in. I've got just over $6k sitting in my sock drawer plus the usual paycheck bits to get it done.

Sand blasting the cab, straighten the bed, fix up the set of fenders on my shelf. New glass, maybe some boommat, new rubber/felt, upholster the seat, & carpet. Paint the frame, straighten out the suspension, drop the 400/400 in. Now I know that is not all I will have to do, but that give the high points of the project.

Give a look at the pictures, throw in your 2 cents. At this point I'm really trying to ID the suspension & rear axle as I'm not 100% sure of the year.
Attached Images