View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #420
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Great video Vic....nicely done
Thanks, Greg, occasionally it's easier to post video than try to write up something.

I've been forced to re-engineer several components as I put things back together. Despite mocking up various sub-assemblies, I find I didn't think far enough ahead. When I installed the throttle pedal into the spot I'd prepared, it was too close to the O2 sensor. Had to drop that section of the exhaust pipe, cut it off below the sensor bung, rotate it about 20 degrees and then re-weld it. It's not that it took a long time, just that I hate going backwards and doing something over. But that's what happens when you modify these old cars.

Also ran into a different issue with the steering column cover. When I blew the car apart, I somehow lost the U bracket that holds the lower cover in place. I bought a replacement from one of the suppliers and thought I was ready to go. However, when I actually went to install it, I could tell it was nowhere near a bolt in deal. On the tri-five forum, I found a thread that partially described the problem. But in the end, I spent about a half hour completely recontouring the bracket to fit. I'm not sure why the aftermarket can't get this stuff right. Seems like it would take no more effort to build the forming dies for a proper fit than force the enduser to beat the piece to death with a hammer.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote