View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #424
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Nice job on the video Vic. I just watched it, this car is coming out great.
Thanks, Dale!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Good Progress! Keep it up!
Hey Chip, talked to your Dad today and he mentioned you've taken on another project. Wish I had your energy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I haven't checked in on this in a long time... and WOW. Love it. I normally don't give silver cars a second look, but very very nice!
Thanks very much, Jesse. As you probably know, I'd planned to liven up the silver by doing a two tone with a candy red. Didn't work out (time & money) but the silver works well with the Bel Air trim.

Revising things I thought were already done seems to be my lot in life here lately. I've been working on the dash, routing some wiring, installing the a/c ducts and etc. I have a number of electronic modules that need a home and they can't all fit in the old glove box space or under the console. So I made a list and divvied up the lot and decided to build the mounting plates for them. After installing the panel that goes in the glove box, I decided to mock up the console to determine a good location on the trans tunnel. It had been months since I last worked on the two piece console project and I knew I needed to trim some additional material off the sides where the Volt piece fits up against the box I built for the Alpine NAV unit and speakers. Much to my dismay, when I assembled everything, I immediately saw that the ends of the Volt console overlapped the opening for the NAV screen. I had no choice but to lop off the corners of the console. You can see the difference in one of the photos. The initial cut has been done on the driver side while the passenger side shows the problem I encountered.

The issue with this mod is that it left a couple of gaping holes. I ended up doing the same thing I did awhile back with the side panels - built a form then poured self leveling seam sealer in the gaps. I then applied a little plastic filler to smooth out the surfaces to prep them for the vinyl wrap. Since I had to destroy the vinyl I'd previously applied, I had to do that over as well, but I was pretty happy with the end result. I need to adjust one of the seams a bit, but other than that, it's about ready. Maybe now I can get back to my mounting plates.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote