View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #122
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Ok for all you guys that have the auto dark welding hood all I can say is wow, how the heck could someone have gotten this far without them!!

And the stud welder works like a charm too.
Pulling a dent is alot like reading the lie on the putting green. I have seen it isnt just about planting the stud in the deepest part of the dent and going to town on it. I had better luck by planting 3-4 in that area between the outer edge of the dent and the deep center and pulling it out one side/quarter at a time..... thoughts?

Started the weekend off with the spot weld cutter and cut out the drip rails from the leading edge of my doors. I have to agree with all you "old timers" it does look alot cleaner without them, and the rust under them !! What a crappy design.

Then it was filling the CB antenna hole in the top of my cab.
I was having a hell of a time because the hot air keep blowing up thru my welds and I could never get the weld to seal the hole. Not until I got my wife to hold the shop vacuum up to the bottom of the hole inside the cab. With that back pressure for the hot air I was able to get my welds to seal up finally.

Then I moved to the drip rail.
Stodder did a "sombreo" style where he flatened and tapered his all the way around, and that gave me the idea.
I did more of a "fedora" style where I only flatened and filled mine in the front with a down drip lip.
At this time it is still a little rough, but it is looking along the lines I want it to.

I love this hood!
I was looking for holes to fill and stuff to weld ... but i am down to 500psi on my tank of gas so it is going to be time to change that soon.

Pic #1 and #2 is my drip rail before and after.
#3 is my CB Antenna hole filled (yay!!)
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote