View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #76
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Just a quick update, I was out of town for a week so I haven't gotten much done on it, and the rain has made all of the previously clean tube get surface rust.... Anyway, did a few minor things, nothing too crazy. I'm hoping I can get the cab on it within the next 2 weeks, we'll see what happens.

I decided to redo my bell housing mount, I really wanted something that would replicate the stock cross member in that it would keep the frame from twisting where the shackles are. I'm not completely done with it yet, still have to add another short piece of tube going from the bottom corner of the frame rail up to the main tube. Also got the tabs for the poly bushings tacked in place, with a strap that will reinforce everything in this area. I will plate both sides in completely to make it look finished, again they are just tacked in place for now. Also have to do a little more grinding on the brackets that bolt to the bell housing to make them look cleaner.

Have about ~3/16''-1/4'' of clearance between the tube and the bell. The tube is 1.75'' by .120'' wall.

And the dust cover does fit with a slight squeeze, and there is about 3/16'' clearance between it and the tube. (It's just loosely attached for the picture)

I cut the rear trans mount cross member apart and welded on some bolt together flanges. And I figured I might as well add a drive shaft safety hoop while I was at it, which will also stiffen up that cross member. All of the tube is 1.75'' by .120'' wall. This will get another tube aimed down and forward at the trans for the rear trans mount.

Also note the cool bracket I cut out on the PlasmaCAM for the rear of the SM465, it will have a couple tabs welded to it for a poly bushing.

And again with the rear mount bracket for the SM465

It fits perfectly but looks a little bit funky, I went kind of overboard with the radius between all of the holes because I was thinking that bearing retainer/back cover plate had more meat to it than it actually did, but at least it wont trap dirt in there.

And that's all for now folks, I should have some more updates later on this week.