Thread: Freddy's '52
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #329
watahyahknow

Re: Freddy's '52

dont know how the body of the s10 is looking
if you put the lt1 engine trans and narrowed rearaxle with a minispool in the small and light s10 pickup you could make a nice small quarter mile racer out of it without too mush cash outlay
the engine is allready injected from the factory so if you have an (stock/hacked) ecu thats programmable you could put a small to medium size turbo on it too while leaving the rest mostly stock
maibe a good 4 link or truckarm type rearsuspension and a notch in the fame
then put some nice used rims and tires on it straighten the sheetmetal maibe put a hoodbulge on it and paint it matt black

i bet someone that just turning 16 would jump all over it if you offer it as a budget dragster and wouldnt kill himself the first run
he prolly be running intoo the 13s and getting quicker once he starts adding a transbrake stronger parts and ups the boost

the turbo is actually pretty eazy on the engine unlike nitrous or a blower if you choose the right one
there are some trick that makes the stock parts "work" under boost
fitting some thicker headgaskets lowers the compression some
like having the pistonring gaps enlarged so they whont but and seize in the cilinder due to the higher heat
a turbo cam is actually a moderate cam with verry little to no overlap
some shims under the intakesprings or stronger springs might be a good idea
theres an old story on the turbo forum http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...part-2-to-come that tells about a guy that blew up his build turbo engine and basicly put the over the top turbo setup on a high milage junkyard engine using mostly parts fished out of the recycle bin and stuff like that
that story has a LOT of info in it about cheap parts that realy work
the biggest secret was prolly that he was realy good at tuning the engine so it never detonated
you can mount the turbo behind the cab and the plumbing will become a lot eazier
you can use he stock exhaust headers and fabricate a Y to the turbo from there
theres a lot of room under the truck and the bed for the turbo and a lot less heat under the hood compared to a turbo near the engine
you would need an oilline to the turbo (low pressure usually a brakeline type of deal from near the oilfilter or the oilpressure sensor )
with a remote turbo you will need a scavengepump (you can use a 12 volt geardrive feedpump for an oilheater , look for a bronze one those can take more heat) that draws the oil out of the turbo and up intoo one of the rockercovers (instead of the breather on that side )

there have been quite a few of these trucks with the v8 swap that i seen on you tube and a lot of them are used on the dragstrip

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 03-20-2015 at 06:27 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote