View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #146
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

I recently put out feelers on forums and FB groups for a replacement grille and original steering wheel for the Blazer in my continued quest to ensure it does not become a Project.

I found two sources of grilles, and ended up buying a new in the box correct for the year, grille from Derbyshire and that probably has been collected now by my friend Kevin and his wife as they were headed right by the grille on their way to see family. I will be spending old years eve with them and some other friends, at which time I hope to collect the grille.

I had lived in hope that I would find an original steering wheel to buy to replace the nice one I have fitted, and to regain the self cancelling indicators.

You will see the replacement wheel pushes out quite far into the cab.

Then I got a text from my friend Ian Brown up in County Durham

His side of the conversation went like this.

Hi Rian, I have one of these “ in my shed” it’s missing the centre cap / horn push and it’s grubby ( would definitely need some Grizz “resto-magic “ ). I remember checking the part number and it was 73 to 80 something Blazer and Suburban. I’ll send it down to you if it’s any good?

You should be able to get someone on the forum to send you a centre cap.

Hi Rian, front & back and part number photos attached. I’ve tried cleaning a bit of it with interior shampoo ( not the best but all I have to hand ) it should come up great with a bit of elbow grease (and patience)

All the horn contacts are there too but will need a good clean
I’ve tried cleaning a small section of the wheel using Armour-all tyre foam cleaner and a very fine scotch-brite. It will clean up ok I think. I’d have done the whole thing but the tin was almost empty.

Front.

Rear.

Part number.

Hell..... Yeah !!!

Of course I would be able to use it, someone somewhere would be able to find and sell me a Centre section/horn push

I had messaged Dennis in St Louis to tell him that I had “got lucky” with Ian having one to give to the Blazer free of charge, and he said that was good, but to make sure that the three screws and a plastic piece that took the screws and a metal cup that the horn button snaps onto were there as they were not in the original pics Ian had sent.

So I texted Ian again and a few minutes later he replies that he found the parts as well, and they would be making their way down south soon.

Got a message this afternoon at 13.20 from Ian to say that he had boxed and dropped of the wheel at a courier, to make its way down South to me.

All I can say is Thank you, and that life certainly is good.

Today was a good day as well, as I had some garage time with my friend Henry who came over from Romford in Essex to give me a hand in the garage.

More Later.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote