View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #71
Ben IV

Re: 70 gmc DIY build

so with the frame done it was time to put it all back together. But I had to decide what to do about the trim. The upper trim was easy, just remove the end piece cut off 12" and put the ends back on. I could have searched for used lower short bed lower trim which could be difficult to find in good shape, buy repop trim that would be too shiny and of questionable quality. Or try and cut down my trim. I had seen people cut theirs down at the wheel opening which leaves the ends open and doesn't look right. I decided to cut it at the front and back. My trim wasn't in great shape and had a few screw holes (in the parts I cut off) so I cut them off leaving a little extra to fold over. I used a piece of wood I shaped as a buck to hammer against. If a guy was good with a router he could make a nice grooved buck to perfectly match the trim. I'm not that guy I stick to working with steel.
Stainless doesn't shape well but they didn't turn out too bad. First picture shows original ends compared to new ends.
Attached Images