View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #340
1sik7t2
dave

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

American pickers should go there some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
some people would probably like more, but i am pretty content with it.

Ok, if you insist;

so, as you approach jerome, you come upon the piles of overburden removed from the mine when they switched from tunnel/shaft mining to open pit mining. This is a tiny mine in comparison to the massive behemoths in operation today down in hayden and out in globe, but it is still amazing to see the amount of material moved:

the buildings in the right corner of the hood belong to a former "suburb" of jerome. Back in the mining days there were actually a few suburbs of jerome. This one, like most, grew up around a mine shaft that was dug in search of the copper ore that is so prevalent in this area. Well, the copper mine failed, but only because they hit gold and silver instead of copper. Uh, whoops. So the town of haynes arizona was begun. After the mine played out, a few hearty individuals remained and opened the site as "the ghost town".

it is basically a giant collection of crap. It really must be experienced to be able to appreciate the broad depth of the collection. There is a massive collection of old, large trucks: (this is only a few of them)

there were quite a few international harvesters in the collection. I'm not too knowedgable on the combines but there were a few pretty cool examples of chicago's finest in there. This one was pretty cool and very complete:

there were sheds full of all kinds of stuff. One shed had loads of old chainsaws in it. On the floor, hanging from the rafters, on shelves:

over in another corner were outboard motors. Here is just a few of them:

one building was set up to look like an old parts house:

then there is the 10,154 cubic inch engine that powered a generator at another mining town. It was transported here (somehow) and can be started for your enjoyment for only ten bucks:

we wandered around here for awhile and then set a course for jerome itself. It is only about a mile away at this point and if anyone is interested, i have some pics of that town too.