View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #339
Test Pilot

Re: Got some new wheels: Boss 338's in 20x10 and 20x8.5

Thanks to the guys communicating on the behalf of everyone on the forum to get these wheels re-tooled for our trucks.

I just read through the whole thread and have a few questions.

1. According to Boss's website these wheels are made in the USA. Is this true, or is it simply they are painted or machined here. Some may think this is trivial, but I can't stand the junk that comes from china. This will be the first determining factor if were to buy a set.

2. I saw in this thread and others that the earlier axles are narrower.
Does anyone know if you can run a 71 axle shaft in a 68 housing? I know someone will chime in about extra bearing loads so on and so forth. Which is correct, the bearing loads will be greater, however I've done this in my Fox body Mustang road race car in the past and didn't have an issue in 3 years of racing. Ford actually did this in production, the 94-97 Mustangs have the same housing width as a Fox body, but longer axle shafts by 3/4" per side.

I also realize this means I'll have to do some fab work on the brakes. This is fine as I had already planned on this anyway.

I'm intending on running 18x9.5s on all 4 corners. I'm not in a great hurry as I'm still collecting the 5 lug parts.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited by Test Pilot; 11-29-2009 at 12:51 AM.