View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 01:13 AM   #53
jarrodblake

Re: 1970 C30 Car hauler Buildish thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
"So that really expensive clear coat that was supposed to be formulated to be painted directly to bare metal and not rust... well it rusted."

Oof, that sucks to hear since you put so much work into getting it to bare metal. I know it isn't for everyone but I think fauxtina (when not overdone) looks nice and saves a ton on a paint job and more importantly the stress that comes with having a full done paint job and driving a vehicle. I think it is a reasonable option if you have an original survivor and want a truck to just drive and not have to worry about.
I'm just glad I did not get the whole truck done and cleared then this happen, at least it was just a little bit on the cab and doors and a test fender.
The way I see it with the way I painted the truck I can just rattle can over the patina spots or touch it up with a can of spray paint and not have to worry about it getting scratched or dented. I built a rock crawler a few years ago It was a 97 tj that was stretched into a lj. I took it all over the place I would beet it off trees and rocks bury it in the mud. It was spray painted flat black and I would just touch it up when needed. Then I put a nice paint job on it. At first I didn't even want to take it out, then I tried to be careful in the trails I just could not bring myself to scratch it up and I no longer enjoyed it like I had and ended up selling it. I don't want to do the same to this truck. I want it to look good but I don't want to stress out over it when I mess it up. If it already looks ratty then a few more dings and scratches won't matter and it will be easy and cheap to touch up if I want and for now I like the look.

Pic of the jeep

Before I made it pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
Nice work.
Thanks, it's getting there hopefully I will get the engine installed some time this week I just need to replace the rear main seal and it should be ready to go in.

A few weeks ago I made filler panels for the headache rack I made them bolt in just in case I needed to remove them they are made from the metal from the old side box.

IMAG2686 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2687 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2688 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I rebuilt the hydrobooster

IMAG2697 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2699 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I cleaned and painted the power steering box.

IMAG2698 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I repaired the radiator support

IMAG2704 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2706 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2707 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2708 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2710 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2713 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2714 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2715 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I had a flag made for my headache rack.

IMAG2719 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2720 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2722 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I installed the cab a front suspension.

IMAG2725 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2726 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2727 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I moved the front cross member forward a few inches to clear the front cummins.

IMAG2730 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2733 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2734 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I temporary ran the air lines into the cab I plan on installing a bulkhead fitting to connect the air lines.

IMAG2732 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2735 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2736 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I installed the 1975 c30 motor mount brackets so I can run the first gen cumming motor mounts.

IMAG2737 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I installed all the steering components

IMAG2740 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I temporarily installed the astro van brake master so I could run the brake lines. I plan on running a 05 chevy 3500 brake master

IMAG2748 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I installed copper coated lines.

IMAG2749 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2750 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2751 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2752 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I installed the brake JB8 calipers

IMAG2753 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2754 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2756 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I installed the flag with stainless security tamper proof bolts

IMAG2762 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

IMAG2763 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

It was a pain to the rear brake line I installed it in one piece I ordered a 25 foot 1/4 line.

IMAG2764 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

Today I installed the wheels to make it easier to get the engine hoist under the crossmember. There is 5 psi in the bags in this pic the fender is just resting on the tire it's not bolted on. On a side note I looked up the date code on the tires it was 034 = Date of production: 1993-01-25 that means they are 27 years 2 months 18 days old and they have 70 psi in them. That's kinda terrifying I had a 6,800lb tractor on the back of this thing with thouses tires and drove it almost 3 hours home when I bought it.

IMAG2767 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I painted the trans

IMAG2768 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr

I will be replacing the rear main seal tomorrow.

IMAG2769 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote