View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #824
SCOTI

Re: How about some pics of Static Dropped C-10's

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
For the guys running 4"/6" or 5"/7+" how do they actually ride? Please be honest. I just picked up a '66 Suburban and I am really torn on Static or Air suspension. I want to be able to travel.

I'm considering a 2.5"spindle with 2" spring and then 6" spring out back so I can use a block if it needs to go to 7" to level it out. Obviously a notch and shock relocators and good shocks.

Or just Bag it

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Just bag it, adjustable is the way to go for different terrain and loading on a trailer if needed

When you get past 4/6 static drops using OE geometry/pick-up points, the driving experience diminishes quickly.

4/6 is usually the most you should drop for mostly trouble free driving. Once you pass that mark, those lower control arm pivot points (& bottom of the front x-member) get real close to mother earth. The lower they are, the closer you need to pay attention to the bumps & dips in the road surface.

Air can offer better ride quality & definitely offers adjustability as mentioned. But air alone doesn't improve ride quality if you're bottoming out unless you're adjusting it. Set the ride up w/proper clearance & either choice works well.

I drive my stuff low (5/7 or more). With no mods, it does suck on crappy roads. Static or air doesn't make a difference if you're bottoming out. To make it better, I use a modified factory or aftermarket raised front x-member. It allows for the more aggressive drop I like while provide additional ground clearance. The additional ground clearance is only part of it though. Once you have the aggressive drop w/a modified or raised x-member, you now will most likely need some raised fender wells so the tires don't constantly buzz.

Same for the rear.... C-sections provide some clearance but not much. They also can impact using a truck as a truck to some degree. Usually w/C-sections the differential gets closer to the flooring & can hit on the 5/7 drops. That can also be remedied... w/more work. Target a minimum of 3" clearance to your bump-stop @ the lowest point of rear suspension travel on the road for trouble free driving.

How low w/a good ride is impacted by how much will you modify.
In the pics below, my 74swb bottomed out. A lot. The dually is a little lower than the 74 was but never bottoms out. The difference is the mods (raised x-member, shock mounts, rear rails, wheel wells, bed floor)
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-01-2020 at 02:44 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote