Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #6200
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
These are 2-5/8" Sport Comp gauges in a 55 Chevy car I used to have. My 82 truck's are 2-1/16" that are also mounted below the dash. I went with the smaller size because someday I'd like to mount them and two more gauges in place of the idiot lights.

I see where mine are "air core" type, whereas the Sport Comp IIs use a stepper motor. Here's an informative article on gauge types.
http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerc...tor+gauge+work
Thanks Mike, I love that stick thang poking out of the floor, (yeah you try to show me the gauges and me the idiot is staring at all the other stuff in that cabin, ha ha) and yeah I learned all about the little gauges and how they come in the smaller size ie the 2 1/6th like my current Intellitronix which are a tad too small for our Squarebodies, and then the slightly bigger 2 5/8th like my new AutoMeter (pronounced: Expensive) ha ha ones

The problem I have with AutoMeter is that they give you 90% of what you want with any of their product lines, like for example you love the black face and the white lettering but then they give you stupid red needles, or you love the gauge but it don't come with a black bazel but silver and sure they'll custom paint it for you for $25 bucks per gauge, I know that for a fact cause I called them and we had words, hee hee

appreciate the link, yeah I still don't get all the stepper motor and different gauge technology I think I need take an AutoMeter night class at the local junior college or online
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote