View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
mrein3

Re: 72 K10 Manual to Automatic Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandCheryl View Post
Thinking, at this point, of making the truck more driveable for the better half. Thinking of an automatic transmission and transfer case to replace the SM465. Anyone have any experience with this? Pros and cons? Looking at a more modern engine/trans combo, wondering if both front and rear ends will need changing to suit the gearing/alignment difference. thoughts? It seems like more work, however if all my drive train needs rebuilding, costing gets closer. Resale? Drivability? Reliability? tx.
I went from a 3-speed on the tree manual to a th350 automatic on my K10. I was fishing a lot back then and was able to get by but that 3-speed really liked to jam at the boat ramp - the worst possible spot for it.

GM made the overall length of the transmission and transfer cases the same for all options available in 1971 and 1972. The difference was made up in a longer or shorter transmission to transfer case adapter. And if you stick with 1971 and 1972 stuff they all bolt on to the same cross member.

If you want to go with an overdrive automatic, it wasn't offered in 1971 or 1972 so to get one you have to go to aftermarket pieces. For example a 700r4 with an Advanced Adapters output shaft made just for that swap.

I did my swap around 20 years ago and have never looked back.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote