Thread: 16 gauge
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #12
stich626
Account Suspended

Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76stepsidechevy View Post
thats what im saying, depending on insulation your average 8 gauge wire is good for 40 amps. That 6x9 would be on fire long before you could ever put anywhere near that kind of power to it.
yes it would.. but 16 guage is tiny.. and forces the amp to work harder.. the harder the amp needs to push the more distortion you have , even when played low volume..
I like 12 guage for most stuff. unless it's gonna be pushed..
my truck the wire to the 6by9 are 14 guage because I needed to get to sets of leads in the door.. and 2 pairs of 12 didn't fit.. and without sounddeadner, any little distortion will not be an issue with the sound coloration that will be going on..
the seperates have 10 guage going to them from the amp.. to the crossover.. overkill, maybe but I didn't buy seperates, to loose the sound from the wire..
it depends on what your needs are.. just tunes.. any wire will do.. 20 guage.. fine, just don't expect any bass control or crisp highs..
it al depends on what you call sounding ok to you.. with 6by9's low end that drops off like a rock (most) limiting them more with thin wire. is silly..
the more sound deadner you add the more you find that the little details make a huge difference..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote