View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Re: '71 air cleaner & manifold help

I'm solid with QuadraJets. Can't beat them. On my '71 wrecker the Edelbrock manifold on it had no choke well so no way to run factory choke. I installed a manual choke set-up same as stsalvage, in stock location. On my '72 I don't have the rod from carb to manifold. I depress the pedal and it starts. It runs on high idle till it smooths out (a minute or more), and I tap the pedal to get normal idle. Been that way for two years now. I just have to watch touching the pedal when it's warm or it sets the choke and it won't start. I've ordered the rod a couple times and have gotten the wrong one. Just doesn't seem to be a priority. And this truck runs headers and an open element.

I just prefer headers. I have seen no negative results to change my mind. Maybe some engines I've had didn't benefit from them but they didn't hurt it either. Maybe it's just cool factor or just how I came up through the '60s and '70s when it seemed to be the thing to do. We choose what we like, whether a big benefit or not... just like custom wheels people spend heaps of money on that re held on by lug nuts, a tire mounts to them, and they spin while the truck is moving, same as factory wheels most trucks don't run.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-23-2018 at 06:34 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote