View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: transmission linkage

Doesn't really matter what you are working on it's a "how do I get my column shift 3 speed trans linkage to work smoothly.

1. Shift arms on transmission both in neutral so that the tail shaft/drive shaft will turn (rear wheels off the ground) . I'm pretty sure that the shift arms should point down with a column shift. (floor shifts have the arms pointing up) .

2. With the rods either off or loose line the two shift arms on the column up so that when you work the lever up and down the pin moves easily between the low-reverse arm and the 2nd-3rd arm You have to have the slots in the arms lined up so that you can move the lever easily. What usually happens is that one or the other of the levers gets too far one way and you get the pin in the shaft from the shift handle stuck on the wrong side of it.

3. You want the arms at a position where they can easily move the levers on the trans between gears. That usually takes having he shift handle inside at about 2 O'Clock on the steering wheel. I don't think those have any kind of neutral detent to center the so it's pobably best to get one hooked up with the linkage and then match the other to it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote