View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #57
smokehouse

Re: Daily Driving a Square Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
Tell us more about your ‘78! I think the experience of daily driving earlier squarebody trucks is a bit different than the later ones, especially when you get to the TBI rigs. 4x4? Full-time NP203? 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

R
It a 350 2wd that super solid from out west and i just do normal maintenance on it like changed the oil plugs and wires. did all the brakes and suspension and u joints. that will make it safe to drive everyday and just put gas in it. i was lucky my qjet works great so i have left it alone. also i checked the compression and they all came back around 140 so i know the motor is good to go. always make sure you have a back up car. i have my 59 vw for that and i'm trying to finish my 70 vw panel bus so i'll have two backups. if they drove it 40 years ago that way you can drive it now the truck doesn't know the difference. i build stuff to drive not sit in the garage and just look at it. i haven't been on the interstate very much just stick to the back roads for now until i get over drive. interstates back then were only 55 and that's what these old trucks were designed for at the time.

On the gas mileage look at it this way i probably get the same as a jacked up new truck on 33's. i have a friend that has a new tundra he says he only gets 16 so i don't think i'm not to far off from that. I'll never buy a new truck ago these old trucks are just more fun.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote