View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #1472
NewBayColony

Re: Trucks Are Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes View Post
Wow, driving those older rigs in the must been a chore,you were a real trucker in those days,not like today with driving a rig is like driving a pick up,air,power everything, I remember a friend from school way bck in the day,his dad drove a rig,this guy was a tough old bugger,had arms like those wrestlers, no power steering or auto trans for him,lol
I got to drive the old stuff. U Model Mack with no power steering. You learned very early on that you just did not turn the wheel unless you had some sort of roll going on. Clutches that wore my left knee out, I do have a replacement, and I need hearing aids from the noise especially all those years with the GM 671's. It always surprised me that the people that would spend 10 hours a day would have to drive something that was designed so bad for the operator. The new trucks are a million times better for the health of the driver but they take away some of the skills that we used to have to learn. Learning to drive a triplex, quadbox or even the much easier Road Ranger transmissions to me was fun. I have a friend who owns a trash company and I fill in for his trailer driver from time to time. I enjoy hitting 16 of the 18 gears correctly with a 100000 lb load even though I don't need all of them,
72 GMC 1500 2wd short stepside 250 4sp
78 GMC 2500 4x Longstepper 292 4sp
54 6400 Chevy 5 window 4 sp 2sp vac rear end Shell oil truck/dump truck (Norman)
NewBayColony is offline   Reply With Quote